13/11/2018: New FM 2019 Choosing Your Tactical Style guide added to Tactics section.
29/10/2018 (and 05/11/2018): Various improvements made to Tactical Theory in preparation for FM 2019, including:
- Playing Methods – added pressing engagement defensive methods, added sportsmanship attacking dynamic and methods, added further details to attacking/defensive mentality playing methods.
- Positional Responsibilities – added references to build-up play and attacking/defensive mentality.
- Role Specifications – new guide which includes new concept of responsibility focus levels (based on attacking/defensive mentality) and reworked concept of responsibility specialism levels. Explained effects of responsibility focus levels on build-up play.
- System Specialisation Levels – new guide based on responsibility specialism levels.
- System Fluidity Levels – now based on responsibility focus levels.
- Formations – amended analysis on choice of formation.
- Attacking Structures – added (more fluid) interchanging partnerships to forward movement partnerships, added effects of responsibility focus levels to forward movement partnerships and penetration/solidity/support scores.
- Responsibility Distribution / Role Categories – replaced old framework with new Setting Role Specifications section which includes clearer guidelines, alternative options for more fluidity and improved counterbalancing combinations analysis. Allowed use of a running central defender (e.g. Libero) in the centre back playing position.
- Mentality Systems – explained off the ball directness systems in terms of responsibility focus levels, improved explanations of passing range systems and their relationship with build-up play.
- Playing Styles – changed playing style implementation basis to relate to system specialisation rather than system fluidity, adjusted analysis of defensive blocks slightly and made small adjustments to component/composite styles. Further development of transition tactics is still to be completed.
- (05/11/2018) Tactical Organisation and Playing Styles – developed analysis of attacking organisation and defensive organisation, including build-up play, counter attacking, holding shape, defensive blocks, counter pressing and regrouping. Adjusted analysis of component/composite styles accordingly. Moved some content from Playing Style Balance guide to Tactical Organisation guide.
10/09/2018: Player Personalities guide updated for FM 2018.
28/08/2018: Match Experience guide updated for FM 2018.
12/08/2018: Player Tutoring guide updated for FM 2018.
12/08/2018: Various improvements made to Player Development (Overview) guide.
23/07/2018: Player Development (Overview) guide updated for FM 2018.
16/07/2018: Various minor improvements made to Player Ability guide.
09/07/2018: Player Ability guide updated for FM 2018. Includes detailed analysis of how player progression works.
21/05/2018: We are now at a new address – www.guidetofm.com.
09/04/2018: New Starter Guide added to the Tactics section.
19/03/2018: Added example Fluid Counter Attacking Football to Example Tactics article and made various amendments to examples.
26/02/2018: Revised and expanded slightly the analysis of forward movement partnerships in tactical theory Attacking Structures guide.
05/02/2018: Added example Structured Possession Football – Regista / Raumdeuter to Example Tactics article and made various amendments to examples.
29/01/2018: Added example Fluid Attacking Football, Flexible Short Plays, Structured Direct Attacking Football, Fluid Pass and Move Football and Structured Direct Defensive Football to Example Tactics article.
14/01/2018: Added example Structured Possession Football to Example Tactics article and made various amendments to examples. Revised analysis of symmetry slightly in Responsibility Distribution guides.
07/01/2018: Added analysis of symmetry and counterbalancing combinations, as well as explanations of team and player instructions used, to examples in Example Tactics article.
07/01/2018: Added more explanations to examples in Example Tactics article.
07/01/2018: Added additional analysis to tactical theory Formations guide.
02/01/2018: Added example Structured Attacking Football – False Nine / False Ten, Flexible Direct Plays and Fluid Direct Defensive Football tactics to Example Tactics article.
31/12/2017: Added example Fluid Direct Attacking Football and Fluid Possession Football tactics to Example Tactics article.
29/12/2017: Added example Possession Football tactic to Example Tactics article, as well as additional details for the tactical roles used.
27/12/2017: Added example Structured Counter Attacking Football and Structured Pass and Move Football tactics to Example Tactics article.
26/12/2017: Added example Structured Attacking Football and Flexible Counter Attacking Football tactics in new Example Tactics article.
26/12/2017: New Introduction added to the Tactics section.
24/12/2017: Added analysis of the effects of formation choice to tactical theory Formations guide. Added Choosing a Formation section to Formations guide. Adjusted penetration score and solidity score suggestions slightly in Attacking Structures guide.
20/12/2017: Removed five defender formations (using full backs) from suggested formations in Formations guide as they are difficult to balance. Adjusted recommended scores for penetration score and solidity score to take into account relative team ability (Attacking Structures guide). Improved analysis of vacating players in Responsibility Distribution guides.
03/12/2017: Added further details of tactical roles to Key Tactical Roles and Other Tactical Roles in Responsibility Distribution guides.
20/11/2017: Added game descriptions to Tactical Instructions guides.
20/09/2017: Updated System Fluidity guide.
18/09/2017: Added composite styles to Playing Styles guide.
17/09/2017: Added number-tens and tactical structures to Playing Styles guide.
11/09/2017: Updated Playing Styles guide.
17/07/2017: Added central attack role categories to Role Categories guide.
12/07/2017: Added central midfield and the flanks role categories to Role Categories guide.
03/07/2017: New Role Categories guide added to Tactical Theory. Further analysis of central midfield, the flanks and central attack role categories to be added.
19/03/2017: New Responsibility Distribution guide added to Tactical Theory.
27/02/2017: Revised Positional Responsibilities guide in Tactical Theory.
31/12/2016: New Playing Styles guides added to Tactical Theory.
11/12/2016: New Tactical Structures guide added to Tactical Theory.
13/07/2016: Tactical Theory guides will now be published on GuidetoFootball.com.
21/02/2016: Added information on playing positions to Tactical Theory guide.
15/02/2016: Made analysis of attacking balance and defensive balance more clear in tactical theory guides.
08/02/2016: New Creating a Tactical Style guide added to the Tactics section.
04/02/2016: Added details of risk and expressiveness for each attacking style in Attacking Styles guide. Added details of tactical suitability of different team mentalities and team shapes for different tactical systems and tactical styles in Team Instructions guide.
19/01/2016: Various improvements made to the Tactical Theory, Attacking Theory, Attacking Methods and Control Methods guides.
22/12/2015: New Attacking Styles and Defending Styles added to the Tactics section.
21/12/2015: Attacking methods, control methods and defending methods have been moved into separate guides.
21/12/2015: Various improvements made to the Defensive Theory guide.
14/12/2015: Various improvements made to the Tactical Theory and Attacking Theory guides.
09/12/2015: New Defensive Theory guide added to the Tactics section.
06/12/2015: A Guide to Football Manager iOS app is now available to download.
06/12/2015: Various improvements made to the Attacking Theory guide.
22/11/2015: New Attacking Theory guide added to the Tactics section.
15/11/2015: New Tactical Theory guide added to the Tactics section. Further guides on Attacking Theory, Defensive Theory, Tactical Suitability, Applying Tactical Theory and Choosing a Tactical Style are also due to be added.
22/03/2015: The remaining Training guides have been revised and updated for FM 2015 – Individual Training, Training Reports, Individual Training Focus, New Position Training, Preferred Move Training, Assigning Coaches and Youth Training.
20/02/2015: The homepage has been redesigned with pictures added.